[Vm-dev] Reviving the Android VM

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 07:03:55 UTC 2017

Hi,

I guess the most advanced ARM vm now are the ARMv6 and ARMv7 builds from osvm, but for Android you need several other things.
Some other work besides the original has been done to adapt the vm to android which you can take a look too, notably the work by Santiago (which is based on work from JB), that can be found here: https://github.com/sbragagnolo/pharo-vm <https://github.com/sbragagnolo/pharo-vm> (but is based in old pharo-vm, before we re-joined with osvm).

Also, no VM for android has solved what is the most important piece missing to do something for real on Android: the VM needs to be an “idle VM” (a vm that goes idle when not used), so it can be run as android wants, not killing the battery of the portable :)
Also, IMO it would be nice to incorporate the work from Ronnie (I think is here: https://github.com/ronsaldo/opensmalltalk-vm <https://github.com/ronsaldo/opensmalltalk-vm>) to strip out the display from VM (Display initialisation should be a decision of the image, after all), which would put us closer to have an “embeddable vm”, and that can lead to very cool applications in the mobile world.

yes, I didn’t help here, just added more complexity… but well, I’m trying to add elements to analyse ;)

cheers,
Esteban