[Vm-dev] instantiateClass:indexableSize: upper limit?

Juan Vuletich JuanVuletich at zoho.com
Fri Jun 23 19:03:14 UTC 2017

On 6/23/2017 2:01 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

>> On 23-06-2017, at 9:45 AM, Eliot Miranda<eliot.miranda at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> To the general audience, I think information like the above is key to being able to understand and exploit the system effectively, but where should it reside?  Clearly "in my head" is not satisfactory.  It belongs somewhere in the image, but it needs to be somewhere where people can find it and/or will look.  Suggestions for an "architectural information" documentation section gratefully received.  Object class>>whatIsAPrimitive might perhaps work or perhaps be overloaded.
> A brief explanation in the sources as a comment for the class and/or some relevant methods *plus* a link to a swiki page with the full details. The briefest explanation might well be as little as “this is a quite complex issue; see swiki.squeak.org/85643505485"
>

> tim
> Useful random insult:- A .22 caliber intellect in a .357 Magnum world.

But this information is for Smalltalk developers, not just for VM
developers. And urls might eventually break.

I think the full information on how to better use the VM belong in some
file in VM sources, maybe one or several .md files. And Smalltalk
systems using the VMs might chose to duplicate it in the image. I'd
surely do it for Cuis.

This might be too much for Object class>>whatIsAPrimitive. I think some
methods in a 'documentation' category in SystemDictionary would be
better. Or one (or several) new classes, just for this. Better if we can
share them in all the distributions: Squeak, Pharo, Newspeak and Cuis.

Thanks,

--
Juan Vuletich
www.cuis-smalltalk.org