[Vm-dev] Where to put VM documentation? (was: instantiateClass:indexableSize: upper limit?)

Jakob Reschke jakob.reschke at student.hpi.de
Sat Jun 24 00:09:06 UTC 2017

> Can we follow Juan's guideance of of putting the documentation in a 'documentation'
> category in SystemDictionary, and then make that information visible from the help
> browsers? That will put the information in a well-known location for all distributions,
> and also make it presentable through the various help browsers.
>
> Dave

Sure. Examples for generating topics from code comments are classes
like HelpAPIDocumentation, which uses PackageAPIHelpTopic and friends
to generate topics from class- and method comments. The generated
topic hierarchy looks more suited for real API references, though (see
below). So one might wish to write another adapter that generates a
flatter hierarchy with nicer titles for the purpose.

{Class category name}
    {Class name}
        Instance side
        Class side

I would not put the documentation into SystemDictionary. This class is
unused in Squeak images since the advent of Environments. Better
create a new class.