[Vm-dev] Compactor not working > News?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 08:36:22 UTC 2017

Hi Phil,

> On Feb 22, 2017, at 7:43 AM, "phil at highoctane.be" <phil at highoctane.be> wrote:
>
> I have been trying the latest Pharo VM since there was compaction support brought in.

There has always been compaction support.  The original version wasn't very good, both slow and unable to fully compact (unless the heap is very regular).

> But it doesn't seem to work as advertised.

That's extremely vague.  Can you be more specific?

> Any status update on this?

I have made the new compactor the default after getting a test suite to pass at  Cadence.  I've been using the new compactor without issue since getting the suite to pass.  Levente has reported some crashes in saving Monticello packages.  I have not seen anything like this.