[Vm-dev] Build pharo vm on ubuntu 16.04 64 bits ?

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 17:29:21 UTC 2017

> On 5 Mar 2017, at 11:10, Holger Freyther <holger at freyther.de> wrote:
>

>> On 4 Mar 2017, at 19:47, Javier Pimás <elpochodelagente at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> No, I didn't. Got through a bit more by doing this
>>
>> cd /usr/include/openssl
>> ln -s /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/openssl/opensslconf.h opensslconf.h
>
> this is not a good solution. It is mixing different ABI test results and will result in funny issues.
>
> I am skeptical to the way 3rdparty libs are handled (and not only because it is being downloaded through http and no check sum is checked). Maybe you can work towards installing libgit from Ubuntu for x86 and then just using it?

noting will please me more than stop distributing libraries as we do with linux now :)
but… problem is we cannot rely on versions already distributed with current systems (for example, we are using libgit 0.23 and linux can be distributing another… and 0.23 and 0.24 have different structures so we cannot rely on compatibility.

That’s why we are distributing some libraries, which as for today are:

- libgit2
- libssh2
- openssl (I added this yesterday because libgi2 uses libssh2 who uses libcrypto and we were having some problems with versions)

I *do not* like this solution and I would like to rely on linux distribution systems (that’s why I’m so enthusiastic about a OBS solution in the future), but in the moment, we are doing what we can.

about the checksum: this is something we were doing and we lost it in current process (osvm-based).
But we can add it back, this is not hard at all... I will schedule a task for next week.

Esteban