[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] [ANN] PharoNOS

Javier Pimás elpochodelagente at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 13:34:20 UTC 2017

Wow! it is really encouraging to see that you kept the candle burning, and
the interest of the community. We have to integrate both what you and we
did into one.

Our approach started very recently and for now has only been focused in
getting the VM compile and link with the upstream sources, to be able to
run with current versions of pharo, without touching upstream files.
 In case any modifications are needed they can either be asked to integrate
upstream o either be generated automatically against current sources via
scripts. I believe this is the right way to do it, otherwise the code gets
rotten really soon, and this is what we had started to do.

I see that we both took the same direction about using musl. Using parts of
libc from system directories was a pain. We are able to cross-compile from
64-bits systems: ubuntu and osx.

I agree that having something like NativeBoost would be nice to be able to
code all things that require assembly, specially io. It isn't a huge
difference for now at it replaces a plugin that just executes in and out
x86 instructions, but it'd make a nice plus to have available

Esteban: when you say "to make the memory executable" you forget this is
squeaknos :). I mean, maybe we only need the plugin to work in squeaknos
platform, not the others, would that make the task easier?

Tim: this is already architecture specific code, which already exists but
at VM level; I would rather have it coded in Smalltalk.

Eliot: does UFFI allow execution of arbitrary assembly?

Cheers!
Pocho

--
Javier Pimás