[Vm-dev] Call for big benchmarks

Javier Pimás elpochodelagente at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 23:53:11 UTC 2017

Hi everybody! While measuring performance I usually face the problem of
assessing performance. At present, I'm using are-we-fast-yet benchs and
also smark ones, among others. Unfortunately, for some purposes those
benchs are considered too low-level, so I'd like to collect a set of "real
world" fat workloads. I'm asking for contributions on computing problems
you have. I'll create a public repo as a common place,  explaining what
each bench does, so that we can all benefit from the result.

The code should have the following properties:

- The executed code should be > 20KLOC.
- It should have compute or memory intensive models or both.
- Ideally, it has sufficient run time, perhaps a few minutes, but at least
a few seconds.
- The results should be verifiable.
- The more portable the best, as I need to have those benchs running in
another dialect.
- Should be fully automate-able, it should be possible to suppress output.

Some examples are moose models, source code analysis, parallelization, web
apps, parser generators, their corresponding parsers, XML processing,
report generation, refactoring tools, type inference, etc…

Feel free to forward this mail to other lists you consider appropriate.

Cheers,
Pocho

--
Javier Pimás