[Vm-dev] git and branch JMM/SleepTime

Jakob Reschke jakob.reschke at student.hpi.de
Wed Mar 22 21:42:11 UTC 2017

> `git log` should then also be a better way to check whether you’re on the branch you expect.

Also note the --decorate flag of git log, which adds labels for
branches and tags, like graphical tools such as gitk or SourceTree do.
For that matter, there is also --graph.

>  McStalker.oscogvm.clean$ git pull -a

I think -a might not do what you want, either. For pull, it is short
for --append and related to the FETCH_HEAD file.

If you just want to download branches and not merge anything into your
current branch, you should use git fetch instead of pull (pull =
fetch&&merge). In case you thought that -a means "--all": git pull
--all does fetch from all remote repositories, but would still attempt
to merge the upstream of your current branch.

Kind regards,
Jakob