[Vm-dev] Looking for resources explaining Spur GC

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue May 9 19:36:42 UTC 2017

Hi Yuriy,

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 2:16 AM, Yuriy Tymchuk <yuriy.tymchuk at me.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am assisting in teaching a compiler construction course in the
> University of Bern. On the last lecture students learned about the basic
> ideas of garbage collection which was exemplified on Pharo/Squeak. However
> I found the slides a bit outdated as they explained mark and sweep as well
> as basic tenuring. To my knowledge Spur is more complicated as it has the
> scavenger garbage collector, has multiple generations of objects, etc. Is
> there any presentation of a paper describing how GC works in Spur? Because
> some students want to learn more (as well as myself).

Clément's pointers are (of course) good.  In addition, Spur supports
ephemerons, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephemeron &
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=263733.

I gave a presentation on Spur that covers the architecture at ESUG 2014:

The only thing that's badly out of date in this presentation is the
compactor which was recently completely rewritten.

> Also excuse me please if I wrote something stupid :) I’m not an expert in
> VMs, but I want to learn.

Please don't be afraid to ask any questions, no matter whether you think it
is stupid or not.  How else can we learn, and often a simple question is
the most penetrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0nBNS1aHZ4&list=PLJ5nSnWzQXi_6yyRLsMMBqG8YlwfhvB0X&index=49

I'm very happy to review course materials, etc, to help assure correctness.

Cheers.
> Uko

best, Eliot