[Vm-dev] script to add internal plugins ?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed May 10 23:57:44 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 02:36:20PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> > On 10-05-2017, at 1:47 PM, Sophie Kaleba <sophie.kaleba at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > I hadn't thought about that, thanks ! I will make sure not to create any duplicate of these plugins
>
> I???ve never thought to experiment and see what happens if one tried to make both internal and external versions of the same plugin. I???d guess that it might not cause any problems in most cases.. hmm, unless on some platform you actually have to compile with different flags, and then maybe there???d be problems if the internal version were compiled with flag A, the ???.o??? file were left around, the external version compile process found it, therefore didn???t compile with flag B, thus making something fail?

I have not checked in a while, but I am pretty sure that it is perfectly
ok to have both an internally compiled plugin as part of the main VM
executable, and also an externally compiled version of the same plugin
(a loadable module in a file separate from the main VM executable). In
that case, the external plugin should override the internal one.

The idea is that it should be easy to make an external plugin that might
add some new behaviour, and the plugin developer should be able to do
this without waiting for somebody else to distribute a new VM.

If this is not the case, then it certainly /should/ be. Tim, weren't
you one of the people who invented this loadable module stuff in the
first place?