[Vm-dev] reducing the gap - ioProcessEvents()

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Fri May 12 18:22:35 UTC 2017

Its great that Pharo is back-in-the fold building out of the OpenSmalltalk repo,
but I wonder if we could be even closer, by trying to minimise the
number of  "#ifdef PharoVM".

Perhaps sqUnixMain.c is a good candidate.
To help analysis I ran the file through unifdef [1] and diff'd it here... .
* https://www.diffchecker.com/MO0KHNpH

One preliminary question...
   what is the return value of ioProcessEvents() used for?
Apart from this line in sqUnixMain.c...
   result = dpy->ioProcessEvents();
the rest of the codebase seems to discard the return value...
* https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=ioProcessEvents&type=

Now where Pharo always returns 0 from ioProcessEvents()
would that be a problem for Squeak?

So would Squeak be interested in adopting Pharo's flexible ioProcessEvents()?

[1] https://linux.die.net/man/1/unifdef

cheers -ben