[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] Is there a way to know if I am in iTimer VM?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue May 16 14:43:07 UTC 2017

Hi Mariano,

On May 16, 2017, at 6:35 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com>
wrote:

Guys,

As you know, OSSubprocess does not work correctly in Linux unless you use
the iTimer VM.

As others have pointed out, you mean that OSSubprocess does not work
correctly unless you use the threaded heartbeat VM.  That the itinerary
heartbeat breaks OSSubprocess.

I would like to open a warning (that growl thingy on bottom left of the
screen) or something at loading / install time if I can detect I am under
Linux AND under traditional linux VM (not itimer).

Do you know how can I do that?

I made a mistake in that there is no way, other than by using the FFI, to
discover if the timer heartbeat is being used.  Would it be satisfactory if
I provide a flag in vm parameter 48 that, if set, indicates the itimer
heartbeat is in use?  This could be done in a few minutes and would be
ready for the official release of Pharo 6.

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com