[Vm-dev] OSProcess fork issue with Debian built VM

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Wed May 17 08:06:59 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 04:59:24PM +0200, Alistair Grant wrote:
> Hi Max,
>
> On 16 May 2017 15:40, "Max Leske" <maxleske at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Hi Alistair,
>
>         On 16 May 2017, at 15:32, vm-dev-request at lists.squeakfoundation.org
>         wrote:
>
>         Hi Max,
>
>         I can't answer your question directly, but just wondering why you are
>         using
>         the itimer VM when the are known issues with external calls, and not
>         the
>         heartbeat VM?
>
>     Because of the root user issue, and also because I don't care about that
>     much at the moment. I'm still experimenting and for those experiments it
>     doesn't matter which VM I use. Thirdly, the itimer VM is the one I get when
>     I use 'curl get.pharo.org/60+vmLatest | bash', which is convenient to get
>     the latest VM, and to minimise differences between the VM's we built the
>     same one. I will definitely consider using the threaded VM for production.
>
>         P.S. I would love to see OSProcess working in 32 bit mode.
>
>     Well, it does work already, just not when we build the VM ourselves :/
>
> Interesting, I had the impression that for Pharo 6 OSProcess didn't work in
> 32bits, only 64, but I'm also building my own VM.  I'm away from my PC, but
> I'll try and take a look.

I'm seeing the same behaviour as you, i.e. OSProcess works in a VM
downloaded from get.pharo.org, but locks up when using the VM I
compiled.

Both VMs (threaded heartbeat) are based on the same source code, i.e.:

VM: 201705022326 https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git $ Date: Tue May 2 16:26:41 2017 -0700 $

I'll try and take a look at this eventually, but I'm not sure how long
that will be (several weeks away, at least).

If you figure it out, please let me know.

Thanks!
Alistair