[Vm-dev] Proof of Concept of a pharo cog spur VM to OpenBSD

Christian Kellermann ckeen at pestilenz.org
Tue Nov 7 10:10:38 UTC 2017

Hi Nicolas,

* Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> [171102 23:50]:
> Your work sounds almost ready for inclusion. We could easily cherrypick the
> patches to base files, just emit PR with those.

I will submit these today.

> I see that you have committed some thirdparty sources in
> https://github.com/ckeen/opensmalltalk-vm/commit/227f059f587a35970ebc3072fd8dca45c4887de5
> My understanding is that they are either fetched during the build process,
> or the libraries are replaced by those distributed with OS as you further
> decided.
> I would thus remove them.

Agreed, this has been an oversight on my side.

> Concerning the right place for putting os specific options, I don't know.

The commits that modify the plugins will break other platforms, which in this case means Linux.
I'd rather refactor the Makefiles in a way that they will include
those linker flags from the LDFLAGS given in the respective mvm
file.  So one can add or omit them as needed.

> For automating the build, you would have to hack
> https://github.com/ckeen/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/OpenBSD_PoC/.travis.yml and

I don't know anything about travis, does it even run an OpenBSD
platform?  Or are you hinting at something else?  I can run the
SUnit tests myself for now if that's ok. I might need more guidance
in this though.

Kind regards,

Christian

--
May you be peaceful, may you live in safety, may you be free from
suffering, and may you live with ease.