[Vm-dev] Cannot build successfully latest VM

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 16:34:53 UTC 2017

nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com>:

> gmail.com>:

>> l.com>:
>>
>>> Hmm, my bad, I fail to find a bug in genPrimitiveStringReplace
>>> It appears that I messed up with git client... (bissecting on two
>>> different machines is not a good idea anyway)
>>> What I find now is this:
>>> - mac osx 64 squeak.cog.spur cog HEAD segv
>>> - mac osx 64 squeak.cog.spur generated with VMMaker.oscog-cb.2274 and
>>> src/plugins/* from head is not OK (mangled)
>>> - mac osx 64 squeak.cog.spur generated with VMMaker.oscog-cb.2274 and
>>> src/plugins/* taken from old commit is OK
>>>   https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/commit/301
>>> 0e4465405f6ec7a289fc3a3d21eb324816a8f#diff-2ecd46f56f9702ad7
>>> a50219dd086a8c5
>>>
>>> So that's at least two different problems, one in the plugins, one in
>>>

>> The problem in generated plugins is in MiscPrimitivePlugin.c
>> There are not many changes, so I'll see if I can identify the problem and
>> fix it in VMMaker.
>>

> So I have fixed the code of primitiveDecompressFromByteArray from
> MiscPrimitivePlugin
> but IT'S NOT IN VMMaker... I fixed the Squeak trunk version
> (Graphics-nice.385), I presume there is a similar thing in Pharo.
> We can't continue with this Misc thing, it's not manageable.
>
> I've also pushed the fix on github.
>
> Now remains the 64bits cog spur VM problem

And the VM problem is the one that I reported in the other thread
    "Something wrong in latest code generation"

There's a buggy inversion in primitiveAdd and primitiveSubtract, where we
test for primitiveFailure BEFORE generating primitive failure (or success).

We should fix code generation in VMMaker, regenerate, then this should
restore Opensmalltalk-vm health

Then there will be the problem of the 64bit cog spur vm...