[Vm-dev] Overview of the OpenSmalltalk VM and its build process

Raffaello Giulietti raffaello.giulietti at lifeware.ch
Tue Oct 17 13:07:03 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm interested in understanding the overall OpenSmalltalk VM structure
and design and its build process.

I read [1] and [2] to get a high level picture of the vm and its
interesting strategy to development (Slang, VMMaker, etc.)

Apart from these, are there other useful documents/sites/tutorials on
the vm development process in general and about the underlying ideas in
the build process? I'm aware that vm construction is a rather special
topic but any useful reference or hint is welcome.

I'm already familiar with the interesting [3] and [4] websites and their
authors papers, talks and slides, but these do not seem to help much in
clarifying the development process itself.

In particular, I'm targeting Pharo 64 bit/Win 64 bit (x64-86). I hope to
be able someday to actively participate in bringing Cog/Spur/Sista to a
more mature status on this platform.

The questions I would like to find an answer to are of the following kind:
* Where should I start?
* Should I use Squaek or can I use Pharo for vm development purposes?
* What are the restrictions of Slang?
* Where does VMMaker live?
* Which C toolchain shall I use?
* Which release of gcc, ld, make are known to work?
* What about clang?
* Which version of cygwin64 or mingw64 are OK?
* etc.

Greetings
Raffaello

---