[Vm-dev] Sista alternate bytecodes + Java Bytecode ?

Raffaello Giulietti raffaello.giulietti at lifeware.ch
Tue Oct 17 14:53:03 UTC 2017

Hi Ben,

in addition to Clément's observations, you should not forget that much
existing JVM bytecode depends on the multi-threading capabilities of any
contemporary JVM implementation and its supporting platform libraries
(e.g., java.util.concurrent.* for concurrency frameworks,
java.util.stream.* for parallel streams, etc.)

So, besides the humongous work mentioned by Clément, I can only imagine
how hyper-humongous a work would it be to make the current OpenSmalltalk
VM multi-threaded to accommodate the JVM computational model inherent in
almost any real-world Java bytecode. Think only of the impact on the
garbage collectors, for example. (Or on how to present multi-threading
to Smalltalkers accustomed to the vastly simpler shared memory model of
Process, where the happens-before relationship is trivial.)

Greetings
Raffaello