[Vm-dev] Multi-core system Squeak (was Re: Sista alternate bytecodes + Java Bytecode ?)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Oct 19 16:46:56 UTC 2017

> On 19-10-2017, at 7:31 AM, Todd Blanchard <tblanchard at mac.com> wrote:
>
> It works very well and this idea of mini worker images sounds like it might be a good fit for that model.

One thing I noticed with surprise was how astonishingly fast Dave’s OSProcess could spawn an entire image, even on a Pi. So it might be worth experimenting with spawning a child image to do some processing and maybe transmit results back via sockets or writing a project file or.. well, whatever. You might think that on a tiny thing like a Pi you would rapidly use up all memory and start disastrous paging to SD (ouch!) but a Pi has a Gb or ram and my 6.0alpha development image uses less than 9% of that.

It’s a potentially simple way to make some use of multiple cores.

tim
Hex dump:  Where witches put used curses...