[Vm-dev] VM Maker: ImageFormat-dtl.29.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 18:22:15 UTC 2018

Hi Subbu,

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 10:43 AM, K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 12 April 2018 08:21 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>
>> While we can't rely on a system having its file database up-to-date
>> we can rely on our district containing a runnable version of
>> ckformat.c.  So while what you say is v nice in an ideal world, I
>> think we do need something like ckformat.c now we're on the cusp of a
>> cleaving between the 32/64 compatibility world ushered in by x86_64.
>>

> Eliot,
>
> file(1) has been around since 1973 and many tools and package managers
> depend on it. Others VMs like Python etc. also use it. Squeak already has
> code to emit the magic file. Package managers could use it in their
> post-install script. The existing Debian package uses an outdated one so we
> may as well generate a supported version.
>
> file can also take the filename as an argument:
>
>  file -m /usr/local/lib/squeak/magic --mime blah.image
>
> Also customizing a magic file doesn't require a recompilation, so it
> definitely helps us in the 32/64 transition.

OK, but we also have to deal with Mac OS X and Windows, and we have to work
reliably no matter what the user's permissions are.  So if you pursue a
file(1) based strategy please check on these other platforms.  For example,
if it turns out that file(1) is not a viable option on Windows (which I
think is the truth) then it might be less costly overall to use ckformat
because it can be a cross-platform solution.

BTW I was altering the file database for BrouHaHa images back in the 80's.
I'm aware of file, use it often, and like it.  But that doesn't mean I
think it is always appropriate.

best, Eliot