[Vm-dev] Working with Squeak 2.0

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Apr 14 16:27:54 UTC 2018

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 06:42:54AM +0200, Cl??ment Bera wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 12:43 AM, Stuart Cassoff <aa72 at bell.net> wrote:
>

> > FWIW, I've tried out the 2.8 image with the 2.4 vm, seems to work.
> >
> > Is there a reason to not prefer the latest of the 2.* ?
> >

> The image works, my issue was that the VMSimulator did not work.
>
> Well I'm just trying to get an image close to Blue book specs.

Hi Cl??ment,

I guess that the earliest Squeak images would probably be closest
to blue book.

I tried running Squeak1.13u.image on an interpreter VM on Linux, then
opened that same image in its simulator (see attached screen capture).

I got an out of bounds error that is probably similar to what you
are seeing in the Squeak 2.4 image. It is failing on the very first
oop in #adjustAllOopsBy: and it seems to be going wrong when it
calculates sizeBitsOf: for that oop (which is 8).

   self sizeBitsOf: 8 ==>  631178496

This looks definitely wrong but I do not understand the source of the
problem.

For background, here is a summary of what images can be run on an
interpreter VM (but I have only done this on Linux, I am not sure if
you can build the VM on OS X).

  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2017-January/192798.html

You can also use SqueakJS, although will run slower so maybe not as
good for running InterpreterSimulator.