[Vm-dev] compiling VM with MSVC

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 09:38:36 UTC 2018

Last year, I've tried to compile opensmalltalk vm with MSVC but, it was not
possible with 2017 edition...

Good news, it seems that Mircrosoft made progress since then:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/comments/399091/view.html?utm_source=newcomment&utm_medium=email

MSVC can be interesting for a few things:
- a relatively good debugger for the C world - I know, it's difficult to
sell this to Smalltalkers :)
- easier integration of native libraries than thru mingw
- complementary set of compilation warnings (and runtime errors) to help
polishing some corner cases of our code generator.

Of course, without CMake, we're back to manually crafting a MSVC project,
but it can pay when chasing hard bugs (which I was after last year).