[Vm-dev] [Pharo-users] Unable to compile myself Pharo

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Tue Dec 11 02:46:08 UTC 2018

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 at 01:09, Alexandre Garreau <galex-713 at galex-713.eu>
wrote:

> I didn’t find on the README enough informations (about which dir to use
> and what to do once inside), but found some on a random blog on the web
> [0], and now built it but it seems it only installed executable binary
> stuff under the name of “squeak”, is this normal?  are you sure it’s not
> related to the “squeak-vm” debian package?
>
> [0]
> https://pharoweekly.wordpress.com/2017/02/23/building-pharo-vm-as-simple-as/

Very sorry to add to your frustration.  I only just followed that link to
check which instructions you were using.
Those instructions are deprecated (can anyone edit that page? or publish an
updated one?)

Please try...
$ git clone git at github.com:OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git
$ cd opensmalltalk-vm/build.linux64x64/pharo.cog.spur/build
$ ./mvm

Note this is the tip of development. Alternatively you could find the
commit hash from the stable VM and check that out.
Then try image pharo64.zip from http://files.pharo.org/get-files/70/

HTH
cheers -ben

P.S. @esteban, could we get a tag&branch in opensmalltalk-vm repo to mark
Pharo's stable VM build.

A branch "pharo-stable" would facilitate one more step above ```git
checkout pharo-stable```
to provide a smoother path for people wanting to compile the VM for the
first time.
This branch would fast-forward along the mainline when Pharo's next stable
VM is determined.
(I expect "squeak-stable" would also be useful to have)

A tag "pharo-stable-20180618" would provide a permanent record for someone
is using
one of those stable-VMs in production who needs to branch off that point to
apply a hot fix.

Also, when it comes to the Pharo 7 Release, identical matching tags "
pharo-release-7.0"
in both opensmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm and pharo-project/pharo would be
useful.