[Vm-dev] git bites again

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Wed Feb 21 07:43:18 UTC 2018

Hi all,

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 8:17 AM Alistair Grant <akgrant0710 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Tim & Eliot,
>
> On 21 February 2018 at 04:11, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 6:29 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> >>

> >> OK, I know that the entire point of git is to drive people insane but
> this is an especially silly problem.
> >>
> >> clone the repository with
> >> git clone https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git
> >> wait...
> >> cd opensmalltalk-vm/
> >> ./scripts/updateSCCSVersions ->
> >> fatal: Not a git repository: '.git'
> >> fatal: unrecognized input
> >>
> >> What?

As part of the transition from SVN to Git, we had to add a script that runs
after certain Git commands and inserts a timestamp into the code which is
then compiled into the VM as a part of its version string. This approach
does not only sound hacky, it actually is hacky, but a Git commit hash was
not good enough. Unfortunately, there are many ways to work with Git
repositories (e.g. submodules), so Jakob proposed a change that seemed to
fix things for some use cases while apparently breaking things for other
users.

> >> The annoying part is that it worked (at least, so far as I remember)
> last time I loaded up a clone of the vm repo.

I've reverted Jakob's change, so please try again.

> > Agreed.  It is incumbent upon whoever made the change to fix this.  "you
> break it, you fix it".  so please, step up :-)

> > best, Eliot
> >

> The offending commit is 0458c6a92651fc8d0bf86158a0407f87470ade50 from
> 6 Feb.  I'm not familiar enough with git to easily fix it, but backing
> out the change should be straightforward.

Thanks for looking into this, Alistair.