[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] OSSubprocess 0.2.5 fails in Pharo 6.1 64 bits (macOS)

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 18:07:15 UTC 2018

Hi Eliot,

On 21 February 2018 at 18:56, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Alistair,
>
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 9:31 AM, Alistair Grant <akgrant0710 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yep, OSSubprocess doesn't work on 64 bit VMs at the moment.
>>
>> Eliot, Mariano has indicated he's waiting on
>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/pull/142
>> Do you know of a reason why it shouldn't be merged?
>

> Well, the changes to FilePlugin.class belong in VMMaker.oscog.

Good point.  I'm embarrassed to say I didn't look at the code, just
the comments.

>  And cfileRecordSize doesn't make sense , since all pointers are of the same size in C:
>
> cfileRecordSize
> + "Return the size of a stdio FILE* handle"
> + <option: #PharoVM>
> + <static: false>
> + ^self sizeof: #'FILE*'
>
> I would simple use (self sizeof: #'void *') or (self sizeof: #'FILE *').

Yep - although this could use <inline: #always>.

> Other than that I can't see any problems.

I've sent Mariano a message asking him to clarify what he needs from
this PR.  I'll follow up again after he replies (I'm keen to see
OSSubprocess on the 64 bit VM).

Thanks!
Alistair