[Vm-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-dev] Pharo 7 Repeatable crash: XIO: fatal IO error 14 (Bad address) on X server ":0"

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 21:15:16 UTC 2018

Hi Martin,

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 10:45 AM, Martin McClure <martin at hand2mouse.com>
wrote:

> Anyone here interested in this crash? Is there a newer VM I should test
> with?

Certainly try the most up-to-date Vm you can find.  But this looks like
some linux-specific, 32-bit specific bug, because no one else is reporting
crashes like this.  So what I would recommend is that you run from the
command line under gdb and hence that you would be able to get a stack
trace, and maybe even dig a little further.  Such a crash should be due to
something obvious, a null pointer, or a buffer overrun.  And running under
gdb should allow you to narrow in on the bug quite quickly.  If the pharo
vm is compiled with symbols then use the vm itself, otherwise build your
own; you'll need symbols.  If and when the bug is easy to reproduce you can
switch to the debug vm (again you'll have to build it yourself; but builds
these days are easy; checkout, cd, run a build script) and get more
information.

HTH

--
best, Eliot