[Vm-dev] linux systems startup stuff for a servo controller daemon

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Jan 12 23:00:24 UTC 2018

> On 11-01-2018, at 4:15 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> I'm pretty much shooting in the dark here,

Me too - with a blindfold!

> but it sounds like your pca9685servod
> daemon depends on the pigpiod daemon, and maybe the former fails to start cleanly
> if the latter has not previously been started.
>
> Maybe you just need to make sure that pigpiod is autostarted at boot time. Here
> is a link that might help:

Happily there is a systemd service for pigpiod so that was easy to set up. Makes no difference at all though, apart from saving me from remembering to manually start it!

I’ve rebooted and powered off so many times I’ve lost count. I’ve added a load of debug output that shows that at least on some occasions the commands to move the servo are not being accepted. Still, if I `sudo make install` it works and if I do almost anything else it doesn’t. If it was completely consistent I might have a chance of working it out I guess.

Anyway I have to leave it alone for a while now in order to finish writing The Complete Beginners Guide to Starting with a Pi ready for Weds.

tim
Strange OpCodes: RJT: Read and Jam Tape