[Vm-dev] Help: weird bug in inspecting characters

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 17:51:07 UTC 2018

On Monday 02 July 2018 09:53 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi Subbu,
>
>> On Jul 2, 2018, at 7:24 AM, K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need help in tracing a bug (see attached picture) which triggered a MNU while trying to view a .cs file in FileTool. I traced the problem to peek on aStream returning a nil because a wrong character code was being returned in generated.
>>
>> In the attached picture, aStream isBinary is false and the basicNext returns the correct $^ character which gets stored in character1 local var. But an inspector displays it as Character 128. In the same inspector window $^ shows the correct character code as 94.
>>
>> This is on Squeak5.2alpha-64b-Linux-18127. What is happening here?
>
> No idea.  Do you have a test case?

Attached is the file that triggered the error.
It is extracted from a project file produced on an old Mac (bigendian).

   File List -> select x.cs and click Changes. This will bring up MNU window
   Select "scanFrom:..." and open inspector on "file" ivar
   Debug "self peek"
   step into "self next" and then into "nextFromStream".
   step over until "character1" is assigned.
   Press "Restart" and step over till it is assigned again.
   Notice that it shows as $^ in debug panel
   inspect character1. It shows as Character 128.

The stream position is 1086 out of 2048. The actual byte in the position
is indeed 128 but I don't know why it is appearing as $^ (94) in the
inspector.

Regards .. Subbu