[Vm-dev] FileHandleTest>>#testTruncate Pharo test case for FilePlugin/ CogVM on 64bit linux

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 08:36:59 UTC 2018

Hi Markus,

On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 07:48:13AM +0800, Ben Coman wrote:

> Pharo, Squeak, Cuis all build from the OpenSmalltalk VM repo.
> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm

Adding to Ben's reply...

After checking out the source code, there are HowToBuild files in each
of the platform directories, e.g. build.linux64x64/HowToBuild.

If you want a list of pre-requisite packages for building, see
.travis_install.sh in the root directory.

You need to manually set up the version information hooks once after cloning:

scripts/updateSCCSVersions

Unfortunately the linux build files are not always in sync (I have a
ToDo to submit a change for the debug build file).  It is probably best
to first build a clean normal vm:

cd build.linux64x64/pharo.cog.spur/build
./mvm

and answer y (yes) to the Clean? question.

I think the changes to do the flushing are all in the platform support
files, so it shouldn't be necessary to use VMMaker straight off.
The main VM code is written in slang and edited and generated from
within Squeak.  If you think you'll need to modify slang code let me
know and I'll find the relevant pages (I'm writing this reply offline).

If you've got any other questions, let me know.

Cheers,
Alistair