[Vm-dev] historical memory sizes (was: PICs)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 20:42:04 UTC 2018

Hi Phil,

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 12:38 PM, Phil B <pbpublist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jecel,
>
> Sorry I can't do inline right now (stupid Gmail Android client must have
> 'fixed' something)...
>
> Ok, I wasn't clear that the study had that much lag (my fault for not
> reading it). What threw me for a loop (and still does) was the claim that
> the 'average' Sun machine had that little RAM at any time in the 90s.  I
> don't ever remember using a non-x86 Unix system in the 90s with less than
> 16M.  And I went into 1990 on 16mb PCs (I was a day 1 adopter of Win 3.0 as
> it was the easiest sell to get business people off of DOS... to all human
> beings who have suffered as a result: sorry, but as bad as Windows is/was,
> DOS was worse).
>
> An aside and minor correction to your point re: PCs: *most* people didn't
> have software that could use more than 1m+64k (himem weird feature).  But
> there were commonly available exceptions for example: iirc Lotus 123 v3 was
> still a DOS app but was able to use extended memory (subject to the
> constraint that only labels could go into extended memory) so you could
> effectively use up to 2-3 meg in a DOS-based spreadsheet.  And there were
> CAD systems and databases that could directly use up to 4-8meg or so via
> DOS extenders. There were also crude task switchers, TSRs, etc that
> clumsily allowed using more RAM.  It was pretty hellish, but possible to
> break the 1meg barrier in the DOS days.  And there was also Windows 286/386
> pre-1990.  (It was bizarre, you couldn't convince most business people to
> look at anything that wasn't DOS or later Windows usually citing cost as a
> reason (really it was fear of the unknown) but they'd spend a small fortune
> having their config.sys/autoexec.bat optimized to find an extra 50-100k of
> low memory so that they could keep limping along in DOS)
>
> No doubt RAM was rediculously expensive in the 80s and 90s (I remember
> paying ~$1000 for the last 128meg in that 192 meg machine) but Sun
> machines weren't cheap either.  That is why I was surprised that apparently
> so many people skimped on RAM in the workstation world... seems like
> putting a 4 cylinder engine into a high end luxury car.  The low end of the
> PC world on the other hand has always been terrible for skimping on
> everything.

I went to work at Rutherford Appleton Lab in 1978.  In 1979 or 80 the
Bubble Chamber Research Group bought a DEC 11/780, and in '80, '81 or
thereabouts we added, gasp, a whole extra megabyte to the machine.  We got
a quote from DEC for the megabyte, which was, you guessed it, £11,780.
Needless to say we ended up buying the memory from Megatech for
considerably less, but it was still several thousand pounds. Gulp.

--
best, Eliot