[Vm-dev] Commit process

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 16:29:52 UTC 2018

> Hi Alistair,
>
> > On Mar 8, 2018, at 7:34 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Sean,
> >

> >> On Mar 8, 2018, at 6:06 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <sean at clipperadams.com>
> wrote:
> >>

> >> Hi guys, forgive my potentially naive intrusion, but I've noticed a lot
> of
> >> git commits which seem like noise. When I make commits like these - e.g.
> >> tweaking tiny details to pacify CI - I call it "programming by flopping
> >> around" ha ha. Anyway, as I've recently learned, a great practice is to
> >> perform these on another branch until things are working, and then
> squash
> >> all the commits into one before merging - usually pretty easy with git.
> That
> >> having been said, I know very little about the VM dev process, so if
> none of
> >> this applies, feel free to consider me a crazy old man mumbling things
> on
> >> the street corner to passersby ;)
> >
> > Those commits were on a branch.  I agree that it's best not to push
> after each commit.  The emails however confused me too.  Is it possible for
> the commit emails to clearly state the branch name?
>
> Sorry.  I meant yo say the title of the emails.  In Tobias' defence, if
> one is working on the CI then, without a lot of effort, one has no choice
> other than to commit so that the CI can pull and do its thang.  Perhaps
> turning off the notifications for certain branches is possible?

Personnally, i prefer to see the individual commits rather than a big ball
of changes.
Even the mistakes are valuable, we may learn something.
I'm not a fan of squashing nor any other attempt to rewrite history.

I've been away from vm dev for a few months and was also a bit confused by
proliferation of commit mails, BUT:

1) as Alistair noticed, the branch name is explicitely written in the mail.
So I should learn to better decipher those messages

2) I'm unsure about the benefits of turning the notifications off.
It's always possible to fork the repository and work in a clone, the clone
can benefit from travis, and the mailing list won't be notified by the
clone.

Branching directly in a common repository has some benefits:
- the work is publicized
- the work is more easily reviewable
- team can more easily collaborate (commit) on the branch
 (easier than going thru PR in forks)

Nicolas