[Vm-dev] building plugins outside the tree

Clément Bera bera.clement at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 20:44:39 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 8:02 PM, K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone tried to build a plugin outside the vm tree?

I've done this with external plugins. The idea was to compile it on the
side to a dynamic library (Pharo VM) or a bundle (Squeak VM) and to copy
that inside the VM plugin repository afterwards.

Although in general I would recommend to use FFI over VM plugins, unless
you need crazy call-backs that do not work with FFI.

> In a VM build, how do I generate the necessary header files and libraries
> to be able to build plugins later outside the source tree?

Not sure about that, some one else may answer...

The plugin I've dealt with were written in Slang and I could generate the C
code (.h and .c file) using the same Smalltalk to C compilation process.

--
Clément Béra
Pharo consortium engineer