[Vm-dev] Urgent need for binary reorganization, or at least easier access

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Sun Mar 18 16:41:16 UTC 2018

Hi Eliot,

> On 18.03.2018, at 17:10, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> On Mar 15, 2018, at 4:11 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>

>>> On 15-03-2018, at 3:24 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> This is easily parseable when fetched with curl/wget etc.  But when one tries to compose a URL giving just those files, e.g.
>>>
>>> https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/201803080952#files
>>>
>>> one gets back javascript, not file names.  I urgently need a parseable link to a list of just the latest build, or a specific build, not the long list at https://dl.bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/
>>
>> Does this - https://bintray.com/docs/api/#_content_downloading - make any sense in this context?
>
> Thanks for the pointer.  No, it doesn't help; it has info on premium support options that we don't have.  However, this:
>
> https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/
>
> now has a Latest Version Badge that might work.  I committed a hack that finds the latest release from notifications (it's a hack because notifications has limited length and if it notifies other than successful builds it could end up containing no notifications for successful builds).  I'll take a look at the Latest Version Badge (& thanks to whoever provided it).

That latest version badge points to: https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/_latestVersion

And if I HTTP HEAD that, I get:
$ curl -I https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/_latestVersion
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Server: nginx
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 16:39:03 GMT
Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000; preload

That is, it will redirect to the respective version, with which you can construct the DL path and the file name.

Best regards
	-Tobias