[Vm-dev] building plugins outside the tree

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Tue Mar 20 10:52:44 UTC 2018

On 20 March 2018 at 01:33, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> I'd even argue that we would be better off *not* having copies of the
> generated code publicly available and looking like you can edit them.
> Generating the files from Slang is not really all that time consuming (even
> on a Pi) and you don't have to do all of it every time, and we could
> probably improve detection of when you do.

IIUC, the requirement for versioning generated sources is that some places
in the code generation rely on Sets, and so is not completely deterministic.
i.e. the same Slang code is not *guaranteed* to produce the same C code.
So the C code used to build the VM needs to be versioned to ensure
you can work backwards while debugging.

cheers -ben