[Vm-dev] MVM

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Tue Mar 20 15:28:26 UTC 2018

Hi Tobias,

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 2:16 PM Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi all, especially Eliot
>
> I accidentally committed an experiment but I think it's worthwile.
>
> Look at
> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/Cog/build.linux32x86/squeak.cog.spur/build.debug/mvm#L36
>
> I replaced
>         make install-squeak install-plugins prefix=`(cd
> ../../../;pwd)`/products/$INSTALLDIR 2>&1 | tee LOG
> with
>         exec \
>             script -f -q -e -c \
>             "make install-squeak install-plugins prefix=`(cd
> ../../../;pwd)`/products/$INSTALLDIR" \
>             >(sed "s/\x1B\[\([0-9]\{1,2\}\(;[0-9]\{1,2\}\)\?\)\?[mGK]//g"
> > LOG)
>
> Which amounts to nearly the same result (compile outputs to terminal and
> to LOGfile)
> but the script do not see the redirection. The idea is to preserve Color
> output for terminal and travis (because it is actually really useful) but
> strip all Ansi stuff for the LOG file (hence the sed script).
>
> I had this for quite some weeks now and it works fine (no extra deps, its
> all (script, sed) there on unixes)
>
> What do you all think?

The purpose (preserving colors) is great, the readability of the script not
so much IMHO.
Could this magic script be extracted into some more meaningful helper
function like `runAndLogWhilePreservingColors`? A brief explanation of how
the magic works could also be helpful. I literally stopped trying to parse
the script in my head after seeing all the flags for `script`.

Best,
Fabio