[Vm-dev] Blocking inappropriate posts to vm-dev (was: VM build questions from last board meeting)

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Fri Mar 30 00:57:50 UTC 2018

On 29 March 2018 at 11:47, Jan Barger <barniisk at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Specifically what is unprofessional and immature about my work?  The
>> thread you originally responded to was one where I pointed out that the
>> Pharo VM was out-of-date.  I referred to a bug that was mine (have you ever
>> released software containing bugs?), and that I had fixed, as promptly as I
>> could once I had an error report.  How is that being unprofessional?
>>

> For me is unprofessional any  advanced future improvements that leads to
> less stable and less robust vm. I dont need "significaly faster" vm ( speed
> of old squeak is acceptable ), i need less complicated and more robust
> solution for future.

Much of the stability issues are not related to speed but to the conversion
to 64-bits, which is *critical* for our community since over time modern
operating systems are making it harder to run 32-bit applications.  A lot
of the complexity is probably in the Cog-JIT, so perhaps StackInterpreter
build of the VM would provide the balance of stability and speed you desire
(@All, how would you rate that option?)

btw, again I ask...
1. Which OS version were you running Pharo on?
2. Were you running 32-bit or 64-bit Pharo?
3. Which links did you download Pharo from?  i.e. what is the version/date
of both VM and Image?   Often we can advise that specific VM/Image has a
known bug that has since been fixed.

cheers -ben