[Vm-dev] Spur Memory segment and OS allocation

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon May 7 23:31:33 UTC 2018

Hi Clément,

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 11:42 PM, Clément Bera <bera.clement at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
>
> I am more annoyed about using mmap to get memory at higher addresses and
> segment positioning than using mmap itself.
>
> Allocating memory at higher addresses:
> - is impossible in some platforms such as rumpkernel
> - is annoying since it relies on API such as sbrk, which is deprecated in
> SUSv2 and not present at all in POSIX.
>
> Malloc is not amazing, but it's much more portable. I would rather have
> something like:
>
> #ifdef mmap
>   mmap(...)
> #else
>   posix_memalign{...)
> #endif

I think the thing to do is something like
- a cross platform define, USE_MALLOC (see e.g. USE_MMAP in the Unix
sources)
- either files that implement each interface, e.g.
    sqUnixSpurMMapMemory.c, sqUnixSpurMallocMemory.c
  and a small file that includes one or the other
- or each function implemented twice3, surrounded by #if USE_MALLOC ...
#else ... #endif /* USE_MALLOC */

But before you go there, how do you hope to get posix_memalign to answer
memory where you need it?  It seems to me that if you go with malloc then
you're forced to allocate memory at start-up, because there's no guarantee
that memory will appear at higher or lower addresses than the initial
alloc.  This was the situation with the original V3 allocator; it did a
large allocation, defaulting to 512Mb, and allocated the heap from that.
One couldn't release memory back to the OS, one couldn't have a small
footprint and be allowed to grow afterwards, etc.  And the only interface I
know that allows address hints is the memory mapping one.

I get that there are platforms for which mmap doesn't work.  But I would
suggest that on these platforms one has to do something very different than
what makes sense for desktop OSs, and so one has to accommodate their
limitations somehow.

> *1. all primitive functions are above 1024*
>
> That's not a problem whatsoever.

I know.  I was just being precise.

> *2. New space is below all old space segments*
>
> Here there's the alignment solution, which improves performance and
> removes the constraint.

What, that objects are allocated on a 0 modulo 16 byte boundary or an 8
modulo 16 byte boundary?  That's fine, but it wastes 5% of the heap.  And
don't we encounter more problems using the alignment solution if we want to
do shared segments?  (I guess not; we simply choose the 0 modulo 16
alignment for old space segments).  Have you implemented the alignment
solution?

> *3. the code zone is below new space. This allows isReallyYoungObject: to
> use two comparisons, instead of three.*
>
> isReallyYoungObject: objOop
> <api>
> "Answer if obj is young. Require that obj is non-immediate. Override to
> filter-out Cog methods"
> self assert: (self isNonImmediate: objOop).
> ^(self oop: objOop isLessThan: newSpaceLimit)
>   and: [self oop: objOop isGreaterThanOrEqualTo: newSpaceStart]
>
> I don't think that method would change.

Right.  Sorry.

> I think the method isMachineCodeFrame: would change (2 comparisons
> instead of one).
>
> I dream of a world where young space, code zone and old space segments are
> in different segments which do not have any position requirement. That way:
> - no constraints for platforms like rumpkernel
> - no reliance on API such as sbrk.
> - quicker segment alloc since 0 can be used as the address (OS allocates
> segment wherever it wants)
> - quicker write barrier with bit check instead of cmp with constant
> - growing code zone at runtime is fairly easy (divorce allFrames, alloc
> new segment and free old one)
> - growing new space at runtime is fairly easy (do a tenureAll, alloc new
> segment and free the old new space segment)

Sure.  Some things to consider:
- boundary checks are frequent.  The ParcPlace code (written by David Ungar
and Frank Jackson) was very careful to have as many single boundary checks
as possible.

And my own complaint.
- sbrk is regrettable, but an interface like mmap that allows for one to
supply a position hint and then doesn't provide a convenient of finding out
what the emory map seems to me to be broken without sbrk.

> It's just details all right. I will see if I can try that someday.

Right.  And implementing things using subclasses (e.g. of
SpurMemoryManager) means we can mix and match and experiment.

P.S.  sorry to have replied so slowly...

--
best, Eliot