[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] Add accurate check for console stdio + add associated primitive (#254)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat May 12 16:28:31 UTC 2018

> On 12-05-2018, at 6:57 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

>>> Nice to see someone else caring for RISC OS :-)
>>>
>> Yes, but what for?
>>

> Because portability of the VM is important, and RISC OS is the only
> supported platform that is not a Unix derivative. Even the Windows
> VM looks rather unixy from the VM point of view.
>
> The only way to know if something is portable is to actually port it.
>
> SqueakJS is another useful reference point in this regard.

Almost exactly what I was about to reply but with less wounded pride in The One True Operating System :-) RISC OS has always had that value even to Squeakers that are unfortunate enough not to use it; it is *different* and thus makes us think a bit more carefully about portability. It's like having users that use non-English-like languages; a reminder that not everyone is the same boring sort or person.

I really hope to get to making at least a stackVM for RISC OS sometime soon, and then maybe even a proper Cog vm. After all the Pi  cog works really well and all that should simply copy over. It's mostly the 'fun' of setting up a new make system and (re)finding all the places where something isn't yet portable.

tim
Compromise, says Prof. Trefusis, is stalling between two fools