[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] Fallback window size on Mac is too small (#288)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Oct 5 17:02:48 UTC 2018

I've argued for a long time - probably decades by now - that the VM should not be opening a window until and unless the image requests one. On RISC OS no window is even created, let alone opened until the first call to display the screen bitmap. It makes headless a trivial choice of the image setting.

 I know that at one time, Windows had to have a window of sorts in order for moust(etc) events to be dealt with and other important stuff, but surely that stage is long gone.

Remembering the window size and default opening the window is an artefact of ancient code that simply has no sensible place in today's Smalltalk.

tim
Oxymorons: Good grief