[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker.oscog-eem.2471.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 15:06:32 UTC 2018

Hi Alistair,

> On Oct 22, 2018, at 11:42 PM, Alistair Grant <akgrant0710 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Eliot,
>
>> On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 at 01:08, <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:
>>

>> Eliot Miranda uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
>> http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker/VMMaker.oscog-eem.2471.mcz

>> Name: VMMaker.oscog-eem.2471
>> Author: eem
>> Time: 22 October 2018, 4:06:22.886297 pm
>> UUID: 1d2b46b2-adf0-4b97-8422-59b4f078dfe3
>> Ancestors: VMMaker.oscog-eem.2470
>>
>> Simulation:
>> Fix a regression in memcpy:_:_: in VMMaker.oscog-eem.2467.  Make malloc: simuulate a la alloca:.
>
> Changing the result of malloc: from a ByteArray to a CArrayAccessor
> changes the indexing from 1 based to 0 based and removes other
> collection functionality, e.g. #allButLast, which breaks other parts
> of the simulator, e.g. #cStringOrNullFor: and #primitiveGetenv.
>
> Is this really what you want to do?

I think so.  We should be able to reduce the amount of cCode:inSmalltalk: hacks if we get the basics right.  But if it breaks things for you feel free to revert.  Just capture the test cases that break somehow (image, doit, etc) then I can try and fix things later.  I’ll take a look at cStringOrNullFor: today though.