[Vm-dev] Customize OS X App

John McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Sep 28 19:38:39 UTC 2018

Well there is or was a mac menu bar plugin

https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/Cog/platforms/iOS/plugins/MacMenubarPlugin/MacMenuOS9ToOSX.m

you'll need to ensure your vm bundle contains that.  I can't say where the
smalltalk code you use to talk to it is, nor can I say how you would build
the VM with that included.

---------------

Otherwise you need a VM that has the ObjectiveCPlugin plugin  which I see
the pharo people compile.

https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/Cog/src/plugins/
ObjectiveCPlugin/ObjectiveCPlugin.c

Then you need the smalltalk code

http://www.squeaksource.com/ObjectiveCBridge2.html

Then consider Apple's documentation

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/appkit/nsmenu

Perhaps someone has written the Smalltalk code to interface to NSMenu ?

johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:

>> When the Smalltalk starts up you can use the objective-c plugin or
perhaps the menu plugin (depends on if still supported) to alter the menu
bar as you see fit.

christophe.demarey at inria.fr> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> Would it be possible to ship OpenSmalltalk vm with a customizable menu?
>> For example, OpenSmalltalk VM for Pharo looks like this picture:
>>
>> It is very strange for users. Would it be possible to have a way to
customize menu entries? I think this part is encoded in MainMenu.nib.
>> It will also be useful to package end-user applications by allowing
developers to customize the application menu.

>> Regards,
>> Christophe.
>

> --
> best, Eliot

John M. McIntosh. Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd
https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk