[Vm-dev] Intercepting at:put: problems

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Apr 28 18:20:19 UTC 2019

> On 2019-04-28, at 11:04 AM, Ana Laura Felisatti <anafelisatti at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So far we have intercepted the StackInterpreter commonAtPut: to execute our logic, which attempts to retrieve the current MethodContext, analyse up to 4 levels up looking for an OrderedCollection receiver and in that case store the type information.
>
> The problem is that our code never executes on a regular execution but does while debugging. In fact, it works as expected when we simply hit "Proceed" but fails when we hit "Over" instead, which is quite unexpected.
>
> We would like to know if there's anything we might be missing here about the execution of primitives like at:put: or acquiring the current MethodContext from the VM side.

It's possible that the commonAtPut() routine has been inlined (looks that way in an ancient copy of interp.c I have lying around) and so if you are trapping in a debugger on the actual routine start then it would be unlikely to hit. If you've modified the commonAtPut() code, then this is unlikely to be a good explanation.

How exactly have you generated the VM? That might tell us something useful.

tim
Strange OpCodes: IO: Illogical Or