[Vm-dev] Squeak Inspectors

Clément Béra bera.clement at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 10:33:01 UTC 2019

Hi,

Experimenting for half an hour yesterday, I think the first step is to move
the simulator printOop: logic to an explorer or inspector tool. printOop:
requires an address and the simulator objects. It then figures out what the
address is (stack frame, heap object and which kind, native code zone item
and what kind, etc) and print the relevant information of the different
items.

I want to have that information in an inspector/explorer and that on each
field I can click inspect/explore to get a new inspector/explorer window on
that. Then I want to expand the tool a bit to have previous and next item
in memory (like inspector on a heap object should allow me to quickly
inspect previous and next object. And lastly I want a tool resistant to
errors, because when debugging a bug memory is corrupted, and I don't want
the tool to fail in that case but just to show me a message such as "That
address is suspicious".

A long time ago I extended the original inspector framework [1]. I could do
it again in a similar way. It's just not as convenient as in GT.

[1]
https://clementbera.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/how-to-create-a-pharo-inspector/

--
Clément Béra