[Vm-dev] Porting to Alpine Linux aarch64 Raspberry Pi 3B

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 03:10:43 UTC 2019

hi Ken,

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 2:21 PM <ken.dickey at whidbey.com> wrote:

>  Greetings,
>
> I am too lazy to do bare metal, but found a very light weight Linux
> distro which uses Musl and Busybox.  Thought was to get basic port up
> using XFCE desktop then switch to direct framebuffer and not use the
> desktop.  Let someone else do usb and net drivers et al.
>
> Unfortunately, I gave away all my C references and it has been a couple
> of decades since I did anything serious in C.
>
> I added -D_GNU_SOURCES to the CFLAGS but am getting a wierd (to me)
> error.
>
> Apparently FILE is #defined as some kind of opaque type?
>
> Anyway, breakage in
>    platforms/Cross/vm/sqVirtualMachine.c
>
>    for pushOutputFile()
>
> Can some kind soul help me out with a workaround for this?

I would try two things.  One is to find out where FILE is defined by
searching the system's include files.  There has to be some kind of
definition because e.g. open answers a FILE *.  So one /has/ to be able to
write e.g.
    FILE *f = open("foo.txt",...

and that's all the code is doing, trying to declare a small array of FILE
*'s.

The second thing would be to commit a change to swVirtualMachine.c which
simply ifdef's out push/popOutputFile if some manifest constant, such as
CANT_USE_FILE_STAR or DONT_USE_FILE_STAR is defined in the makefile (so
that files are compiled with -DDONT_USE_FILE_STAR=1 or some such).

--
best, Eliot