[Vm-dev] Why does setLocaleEncoding() set sqTextEncoding

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 16:33:28 UTC 2019

Hi all,
I'm trying to gain deeper understanding of unix keyboard events.
See
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/6bedd6746a0173c90751c63b0d1bdc85bf3803c4/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixCharConv.c#L243
I can understand that the unix side might be governed by appropriate locale
environment variable. But why changing sqTextEncoding???
sqTextEncoding is the encoding used at image side for a few things,
including copy/paste buffer and keyboard event charCode (event at: 3).
Should the image side really need to follow the locale? Does it?
At least, for charCode that does not sound like the right thing!
I have fr_FR.UTF-8, so I'm getting multi-byte encoding for single byte
charCode!