[Vm-dev] INFO REQUEST: key & mouse state machine / API

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 22:28:40 UTC 2019

Hi Ken,
there is work in progress wrt keyboard events.

Currently, we have to generate:
- an EventKeyDown at each keydown, and at each repeat
- an EventKeyStroke if ever the key is producing a character (or several
EventKeyStroke if we produce several characters)
- an EventKeyUp when the key is released

Those events should have a platform independent key code in charCode field
(event at: 3)
And a 32 bits unicode character in utf32 field (event at: 6) - that is also
known as ucs4

Currently, the key code is almost universal, but not realy, this is WIP as
I said above.
The code is not explicit.

It matches iso latin1 encoding for printable characters.
Good news, it's also the choice of X11 KeySym and windows virtual key codes!

When Ctrl+letter is pressed, it delivers an ASCII control character (code 1
to 26) instead of the keycode of the letter
But PharoVM wants the uppercase character code in both charCode and utf32
fields...

For some well known "symbolic" keys (tab escape backspace del insert pageUp
pageDown arrows...) the encoding chosen by OSVM is not that of X11 KeySym.
It's rather that of curses or ncurses (If I remember, it's too long ago,
and too late to start searching the net), see function translateCode
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/f70cf5f34041e0e197542651e90505a0b86325f6/platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c#L4558
We also deliver a EventKeyChar (keystroke) for these events with the same
encoding for utf32 field.

You get the essentials... You will have to do something with dead keys too
(^ ¨ ` etc...).
Having a single keystroke with precomposed unicode would be nice, but it
can eventually be 2 keystroke with decomposed unicode...

I was suggesting to further use thre reserved1 field to pass the device
dependent keycode to the image, if ever we want to experiment leaner VM
(and fater image!). But this will necessitate passing ore state, like caps
lock, num lock, etc...
See https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/456

In other issues, I tried to reverse engineer all those layers.
Some are dusty, we do not change VM everyday...
And when we do it, we always add, never remove code, compatibility oblige!!!
I always tell that I pay removed lines twice than added, but only
figurativley, otherwise my colleagues would immediately start committing
many useless lines to pocket thrice ;)