[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] remove emulation of single button mouse on Windows and Linux (#362)

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Fri Feb 1 14:31:33 UTC 2019

Hi

> On 29.01.2019, at 14:31, Ben Coman <btc at openInWorld.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 at 18:20, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>

> > On 29.01.2019, at 11:02, Esteban Lorenzano <notifications at github.com> wrote:
> >
> > Merged #362 into Cog.
>
> Wait what?
> I don't remember a discussion about this quite far-reaching change…

Sorry for the delay

> My impression is that the PR was there for 2 days and the subject seems fairly clear...
>    "[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] remove emulation of single button mouse on Windows and Linux (#362)"
>
> so it was open for discussion, but no one cared to comment.
> Or are you not receiving PR emails and something needs to be looked at there?

The point is that this is a behavior that has been like that for quite a long time.
Just killing it within 3 days is a bit quick.

I see that no-one yet responded, so apparently, yet the interest is quite low

> Does that mean the platforms drift even further apart for event handling?
>
> So lets discuss.  What are the pros/cons?  For me, its purpose to fix Issue #361 seems reasonable...

For me, too.

> > The Windows and Linux VM are still trying to emulate the right mouse button with Ctrl+LMB for
> > compatibility with the old Mac emulation of RMB on single-button mouse. This completely
> > prevents any reasonable standard usage of Ctlr button on such platforms (like selecting multiple items lists etc.)
>
> But I'm not clear on the behaviour.
> Is the CTRL key currently being swallowed so that a single button mouse can emulate a three button mouse?
> Where are single button mice being used today?

My laptop's touchpad only can deliver two mousebuttons reliably… and I've seen other touchpad with only one button tho.

Best regards
	-Tobias