[Vm-dev] Pharo7 stock image shows a blank desktop in 64b (NixOS Linux)

Jose San Leandro jose at sanleandro.me
Sat Feb 23 13:20:05 UTC 2019

Hi,

I'm using the Nix package you mentioned, but in fact it's building the
VM from scratch.
If you take a look at the "derivation" (Nix jargon), you can see that it
builds the VM using the standard autotools, plus:

- The configure phase uses these modifiers: --without-npsqueak
--with-vmversion=5.0
- The make phase phase uses these CFLAGS: -DPharoVM -DIMMUTABILITY=1
-msse2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DCOGMTVM=0 -g -O2 -DNDEBUG -DDEBUGVM=0 and
LDFLAGS: -Wl,-z,now
- Uses the plugins.{ext,int} from cog.spur folder, verbatim.

The dependencies are the ones in the list at the beginning of the file,
and the "libs" variables in the "installPhase".

However, I'll try that same package now that my "blank" desktop problem
reproduces also in Pharo6 images. At first, I thought it was
Pharo7-specific.
I'm using tag pharo7.0.0 [2] of github's opensmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.
Could that be an issue? Should I use a different branch?

Thanks!

[1]
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/development/pharo/vm/build-vm.nix
[2] https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/tree/pharo7.0.0