[Vm-dev] Would anyone object if I added optional building of the processor plugins to the Pharo builds?

Guillermo Polito guillermopolito at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 09:04:01 UTC 2019

Hi Eliot,

I see no objection myself, on the contrary.

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 8:33 PM Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Esteban, Hi All,
>
>     the Mac (and I *think* linux & Windows) builds are set up to not build
> a plugin if any of the files specified by the PREREQUISITES variable in the
> plugin Makefile do not exist.  For example,
> in platforms/iOS/plugins/BochsX64Plugin/Makefile there are the lines
>
> BOX:=../bochsx64
> PREREQUISITES:=$(BOX)/cpu/libcpu.a $(BOX)/disasm/libdisasm.a
> $(BOX)/fpu/libfpu.a
>
> So if the support libraries are not built the plugin will not build. If
> developing the VM one wants to build the plugins and one would build the
> required support libraries. As VMMaker.oscog is being hosted both in Pharo
> and Squeak it would be most convenient if the Pharo build would include the
> plugins.  The only change would be to add the processor plugins to
> plugins.ext in the pharo.cog.spur build directories.

Out of ignorance, what are the processor plugins? libcpu, libdiasm and
libfpu? or BochsIA32Plugin, BochsX64Plugin, GdbARMPlugin...?

I'm checking the squeak osx makefiles to see what the differences are and I
spot the second set only.
Adding those to the plugin.ext should suffice?

Cheers,
Guille