[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] remove emulation of single button mouse on Windows and Linux (#362)

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Tue Jan 29 13:31:32 UTC 2019

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 at 18:20, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> > On 29.01.2019, at 11:02, Esteban Lorenzano <notifications at github.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Merged #362 into Cog.
>
> Wait what?
> I don't remember a discussion about this quite far-reaching changeā€¦

My impression is that the PR was there for 2 days and the subject seems
fairly clear...
   "[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] remove emulation of single
button mouse on Windows and Linux (#362)"

so it was open for discussion, but no one cared to comment.
Or are you not receiving PR emails and something needs to be looked at
there?

Does that mean the platforms drift even further apart for event handling?

So lets discuss.  What are the pros/cons?  For me, its purpose to fix Issue
#361 seems reasonable...

> The Windows and Linux VM are still trying to emulate the right mouse
button with Ctrl+LMB for
> compatibility with the old Mac emulation of RMB on single-button mouse.
This completely
> prevents any reasonable standard usage of Ctlr button on such platforms
(like selecting multiple items lists etc.)

But I'm not clear on the behaviour.
Is the CTRL key currently being swallowed so that a single button mouse can
emulate a three button mouse?
Where are single button mice being used today?

cheers -ben