[Vm-dev] Building on Alpine Linux

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 13:54:30 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 6:05 AM Pierce Ng <pierce at samadhiweb.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've built pharo.cog.spur.minheadless on Alpine Linux. I did it by
> mucking around with the files in the repo, mostly to add library files
> to link with, in line with Alpine's packaging conventions.
>
> I'd like to make the process reproducible. Is there any documentation on
> how the repo uses CMake? In particular, say, which files should I work
> on to produce link.txt suitable for use on Alpine?
>
> Here's my related blog post:
>
>   https://www.samadhiweb.com/blog/2019.07.20.alpine.pharo.minimal.html

Hi Pierce,

This is very interesting. I have been playing with docker too [1] [2] [3]
and indeed I also tried to make it work with alpine [4]. But it was
complicated because alpine doesn't come with `glibc` but instead `musl`.
And there are differences between them. So for example for VA Smalltalk I
had to install `glibc`. I succeeded but the final size of the docker image
with alpine + glibc was almost the same size as the debian lite... so it
didn't make much sense to me.
The support for glic is not official and as you can see I reported it [5]

Anyway, I will be curious to know your progress. Would cog VM work
correctly with musl instead of glibc?

Best,

[1]
https://dev.to/martinezpeck/getting-started-with-docker-and-smalltalk-4po1